One artist the I have discovered is Lee Hyori. She is supposed to be the Beyonce of Korea. Some of her videos remind me of Lady Gaga. She has modeled her music throughout the years after what female artist has been popular in the U.S. such as Britney Spears (whom she was accused of plagiarizing at one point.) I like that she has put on a persona as a strong female in Korea like when she is so strong that her body crumbles the car in the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang video. She has also become the highest paid female singer in Korea.
I also found out that a very popular male artist is Rain. He is also an actor who has been in the
American movie Ninja Assassin. He has also been in several Korean movies. He even made
People's 2007 list of most beautiful people in the world and has appeared on the Colbert
Report. This year he won the most badass award at the MTV Movie Awards. It's interesting
that he is very known in the U.S. mainly for acting, but he is also very big in the K-Pop world.
He has also started his own entertainment company.
Stephen Colbert even poked fun at Rain and Kpop.
Another interesting thing is how there aren't many places that have cds or dvds to buy. Lotte
Mart has a little section. I did find an actual cd store in Myeongdong. I think this is the way that
the U.S. is heading in terms of selling cds. I think most people already get their music
electronically, so music sections and stores will continue to shrink. One thing that I do like
about buying cds in Korea is that generally they have better packaging. There are usually
photo books that accompany the cd. Also, they have a tendency to make what they label "mini
albums" that have five songs on them.
No comments:
Post a Comment